Perform strict pull-ups for a max of 5 reps. Work toward using the least assistance or heaviest weight able to complete correctly. All pull-ups must be done with correct form, reaching a full extension (hang) at the bottom and chin over the bar at the top. Take lowest amount of assistance or heaviest weight and that is the baseline weight/assistance to start the program with.
Begin the program outlined below –
– Emphasis to be on proper form with no additional motion (kipping/wiggling/”cheating”/etc.)
– Take one day of rest between program days
– Program can be done using assistance band, additional weight, or body weight
– Program to be performed in sets of five with approx. 60 – 120 seconds of rest between sets
Ex. Day 3
Set #1 – perform 3 strict pull-up rest 60 seconds
Set #2 – perform 2 strict pull-up rest 90 seconds
Set #3 – perform 1 strict pull-up rest 90 seconds
Set #4 – perform 1 strict pull-up rest 120 seconds
Set #5 – perform 1 strict pull-up rest 120 seconds
Re-perform baseline test and determine next step in program. (lighter band/no band/same band/light weight)
If able to complete all 5 sets with 5 (perfect form) reps begin to add weight to pull-up program and repeat.
– Based on the Pull Up Progression from Coach Joshua Smith